Monday, September 14, 2009

This Aspect of Life Called Culture.

When we look around and see what the world has provided with us on the place where we sit, sleep, and eat. It amazes me to see what a culturally diverse country we live in.

Being a Filipino in America it's quick to assume a stereotype. Big family. Huge gatherings, and what-not. But it's not always pretty. Yeah, it's huge on parties and all that good stuff but what else?

The huge thing about being in a Filipino environent at home is that you can be open about anything but when it comes to your sexuality it's super conservative.

Being born and raised catholic. My parents were mad when I decided to convert into christianity. Mainly due to the fact that I was tired of the whole ritual every week.

Being unhappy at the church I used to attend I searched for a place I could call home. But, what I looked for deep within my heart I could not find in a church.

I looked to be accepted within the religous part of my life and the family part as well.

Now all I can do is look to the future and never try to look in the past. My best friend asked today, "if you could tale back anything. What would it be ?" I said. To be open about who I was earlier in life.

Living a double life in a Filipino community is difficult to pursue. Being ashamed of who I really was did a number to my self-esteem.

Living in the now is what I work on every single day. Don't let the small things ruin a day. Enjoy it while you still can because I recently found put the hard way that life is too short. Enjoy every breathe and love the people you are around. But remember to do one thing. Always keep a smile on.

1 comment: